Harley Davidson Panheads used five models of standard equipment generators from 1948-1965. 2 three brush 6 volt models , 2 two brush 6 volt models and one 12 volt model generator.
standard equipment generators used on most production models
1948-early 1951 standard generator model 32e 3 brush 6v
The model 32e standard generator used a cut-out relay. “part number 74750-38”
to control battery charging.
late 1952-1957 standard generator model 52 3 brush 6v
The model 52 standard generator is the same standard generator assembly as the model 32e 3 brush with the following changes
- pole shoes are now part #30276-51
- regulating field coil is now part #30202-52
- shunt field coil is now part # 30202-52
- field coil amperage rating is increased
- lower regulating field coil lead is now connected to positive brush holder
- upper regulating field coil lead is now connected to third brush holder
changes are illustrated by comparing the drawings below.
The model 52 standard generator uses a cut-out relay “part number 74750-38” to control battery charging.
1958-1960 standard generator model 58 2 brush 6v
1961-1964 standard generator model 61 2 brush 6v
The model 61 2 brush 6v generator is the same generator assembly as the model 58 with one change
- The model 58 legend number 44 “end cover bushing” is replaced with legend number 44a part # 9064 “needle bearing commutator end cover”.
1965 standard generator model 65 12v
The model 65 12v standard generator is the same generator assembly as the models 58 and 61 2 brush 6v with these differences
- legend number 14 “armature” is now part # 30851-65ta 12v generator armature
- legend number 32 “field coil” is now part #302201-65 field coils 12v
- legend part number 44a remains the same as model 61 part # 9064 needle bearing, commutator end cover.
- current and voltage regulator part #74510-64
to control battery charging rate.